The windows Hotkey widget does not accept all keys which means that some Hotkeys cannot be entered directly using the Setup dialog. For example the hotkeys Win+Space, Ctrl+PageUp, Ctrl+Enter cannot be entered.
These hotkeys can still be used but to do so VirtuaWin’s virtuawin.cfg file must be manually edited.
- Open VirtuaWin’s setup dialog and go to the required Hotkey setting, note the name of the hotkey.
- Set the hotkey so the modifier for the key is correct, the key is unimportant. For example if Win+Space is required then set the hotkey to Win+A.
- Press the ‘Explore Config’ button on the Setup Expert page to open an explorer listing your VirtuaWin configuration files (for earlier versions of VirtuaWin without this feature you will need to locate these files manually)
- Close VirtuaWin setup and exit VirtuaWin.
- Run Notepad and then drag the virtuawin.cfg file from the Explorer window onto Notepad.
- Use the following table to locate the right line to edit:
Hotkey Name Virtuawin.cfg Line Desktop Cycling – Next CycleUp# Desktop Cycling – Previous CycleDown# Direct Desktop Access – Desk 1
Direct Desktop Access – Desk 2
Direct Desktop Access – Desk 3
Hotkeys – window list Hot_key_Menu# Hotkeys – window menu HotWMenu# Hotkeys – dismiss window DismissHotkey# Hotkeys – sticky toggle Sticky_key#
- Change the numeric value given for this key using the following table:
Keyboard Key Name Virtuawin.cfg Value Backspace 8 Delete 46 Down 40 End 35 Enter 13 Escape 27 F10 121 F11 122 F12 123 F1 112 F2 113 F3 114 F4 115 F5 116 F6 117 F7 118 F8 119 F9 120 Home 36 Insert 45 Left 37 Num Lock 144 Numpad * 106 Numpad + 107 Numpad – 109 Numpad . 110 Numpad / 111 Numpad 0 96 Numpad 1 97 Numpad 2 98 Numpad 3 99 Numpad 4 100 Numpad 5 101 Numpad 6 102 Numpad 7 103 Numpad 8 104 Numpad 9 105 PageDown 34 PageUp 33 Right 39 Scroll Lock 145 Space 32 SysReq 44 Tab 9 Up 38
Note: Not all key and modifier combinations have been tested, some may not work.
- Save the virtuawin.cfg file and exit notepad.
- Start VirtuaWin, and test the key, if it does not work as expected open the Setup dialog and check the hotkey settings (you may have edited the wrong one or got the wrong value).
Note: The key shown in the Setup hotkey field may not appear to be correct, for example Insert can be displayed as Num 0, this appears to happen for any key that is on the numeric keypad.